To issue a Florida Certificate of Title for a new or used vessel purchased in or outside of Florida, the owner of the vessel or their appointed Power of Attorney (POA) Form 82053*, must bring the following documents into the Tax Collector’s Office:
- Proof of Identification:
- A Florida driver license or identification card.
- An out of state driver license or identification card or passport.
- A US passport.
- A Canadian driver license, identification card or passport.
- A driver license or identification card from any U.S. territory (American Samoa, Marianas, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands).
- An out of country passport.
- Proof of ownership:
- MCO (Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin) – initial ownership documentation on a new vessel
- Out of state title on a used vessel. If the vessel was not required to be titled, then proof of ownership is a dealer’s bill of sale or the original registration from that state and a bill of sale from the seller to the purchaser.
- A Bill of Sale showing the purchase price, trade in allowance and sales tax paid is needed. Payment of sales tax is due at the time of application unless there is a reason for sales tax exemption. Leon County collects 6% sales tax on the total price and an additional 1.5% on the first $5,000.
- Title Fees:
- Original New Vessel Title Fee - $5.75
- Original Used Out of State Vessel - $9.75
- Lien Fee for a Vessel - $1.00
- Penalty Fee - $10.00 - is assessed on a title not transferred within 30 days of the date of purchase
- Fast Title Fee for a Vessel - $5.00
- To print and mail a paper vessel duplicate title - $9.00
- To print a duplicate vessel title - $11.50
Shipping and Handling Fee - $2.50 - for each paper title printed and mailed
Note: By clicking the Pay Registration Fee button below, you will be redirected to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website to complete your transaction.
* You will be redirected to outside agency website.